Mining News Watch #16
June 23, 2015
Mining News Watch #16 covers the time period March 17- June 10, 2015
- The Peruvian government announced in May that new complementary regulations for the formalization process will be released in August.
- To date, only 16 permits have been issued for formalized mining, affecting just 631 of the 58,835 miners that started the process in Puno.
- According to a pair of technical reports by the Amazon Conservation Association (ACA) and Conservaciόn Amazόnica (ACCA), 2,500 hectares (6,200 acres) has been deforested in the Tambopata National Reserve buffer zone due to illegal mining in the past two years.
- The Ministry of the Environment (MINAM) reported that 40.5 tons of mercury enter the rivers of Madre de Dios annually.
- The Foreign Relations Committee of the Peruvian Congress approved the Minamata Convention, and sent it to the full Peruvian Congress for final approval.